The Friday Leader
News from the Champaign County Farm Bureau
News for the Week Ending Friday, March 13th, 2015
Join us for our Coffee Shop Tour!! Here is the Schedule:
Monday, March 16 – Curtis Orchard, Champaign
Hosts: The Paul Curtis Family, 359-5565
Auctioneer: Jim Clingan
Tuesday, March 17 – Dewey Bank, Dewey
Hosts: Bea Motzer & Jacob and Ryann Kesler, 898-1360
Auctioneer: Jerry Wallace
Wednesday, March 18 – J.T. Walkers, Mahomet
Host: Chris Karr, 369-8751
Auctioneer: Andy Busch
Thursday, March 19 – Philo Tavern, Philo
Host: Dick Miller, 684-2221
Auctioneer: Dennis Riggs
Friday, March 20 – Gifford Community Building, Gifford
Host: Eric Suits, 202-4949
Auctioneer: Jim Hannagan
The Earth Partners’ Coffee Shop Fundraiser is just around the corner and we need your help making it successful again this year! We welcome your pledge at one or all of the Coffee Shop locations and donating is simple… Contact your area chairman to register your pledge, then come have lunch on us! WDWS radio personality, Dave Gentry will announce all the community contributions on air that day. Thank you all for helping to keep Ag in the Classroom and agricultural education efforts a priority in Champaign County! If you have questions, call Myla Munro at 352-5235 or email@example.com
This Week’s Hot Topics
· NO SODA FOR YOU– Burger King has dropped fountain drinks from its kids’ menu boards and they are no longer merchandised as part of Burger King Kids Meals. Only milk or juice are offered.
· SALES SLIPPING – February was an ice-cold month for McDonalds, with same-store sales dropping 4% in U.S. stores. The February results follow a strategic “Turnaround Summit” that executives held with franchisees last week in Las Vegas.
· EURO DROP CONTINUES - The drop in the euro accelerated and bond yields in the eurozone hit fresh lows, showing how the effects of the European Central Bank’s bond-buying program continue to grip the region’s markets.
· UAV TRAFFIC - U.S. aerospace company Exelis Inc. is close to unveiling a low-altitude surveillance system for drones, the latest sign of how a "highway in the sky" is likely to evolve.
· WHO ARE YOU - People in Illinois are competitive and less creative in their thinking, while residents of Vermont are incredibly introverted, according to a new study from Truity, an online company that offers personality and career tests. The site surveyed about 13,000 U.S. residents on psychological metrics to find out which types of people typically dwell in each state.
· BUDGET COMMENTS - The Democratic leader of the Illinois Senate on Monday called Gov. Bruce Rauner's proposed state budget "as unworkable as it is unconscionable," suggesting the Republican try again to draft a balanced spending plan that doesn't disproportionately hurt people who are struggling to get ahead.
· NOT CHARGING ENOUGH - Farmers in drought-prone areas of the Plains and other high-risk regions often aren't being charged enough for crop insurance, according to congressional auditors. From 2013 to 2014, RMA raised some premiums, but not all, in higher-risk counties by the maximum 20 percent, GAO said.
· WHOLE FOODS - Whole Foods Market is the 800-pound gorilla of the organic food retailing, but even it is having trouble finding enough non-GMO grain to make products that stock its shelves, according to Errol Schweizer, executive global grocery coordinator for the company. "It's like pushing a rope uphill," he says at USDA event. He blames lack of awareness among US farmers that there's a vibrant market in organic and non-GMO grain.
· MAHOMET AQUIFER - The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency on Wednesday designated the Mahomet Aquifer as a sole-source aquifer, giving it greater authority to regulate potential sources of pollution. The designation does not apply to the sliver of the aquifer west of the Illinois River.
· FAMILY TRENDS – The Census Bureau reports among children under age 15, only 20 percent live the “traditional” lifestyle—two parents, married, and a mother who does not work because she is caring for the family.
Mark Your Calendar!
· MARCH 16, 2015 FROM 09:30AM TO 11:00AM
The presenter will be Bob Dickey, speaking to the group about Electricity incorporated to farm safety.**
801 N Country Fair Dr
Champaign, IL 61821
· MARCH 16, 2015 AT 07:00PM
Marketing Club - WILL AM 580 Spring Outlook Panel
1100 Farm Credit Dr
· MARCH 16, 2015 FROM 11:00AM TO 02:00PM
Earth Partners - Coffee Shop Tour
Coffe Shop Tour Curtis Orchard
3902 S duncan Road
Champaign, IL 61821
· MARCH 17, 2015 FROM 11:00AM TO 02:00PM
Earth Partners Coffee Shop Tour
Coffee Shop Tour - Dewey Bank
2994 County Road 900 E
Dewey, IL 61840
· MARCH 17, 2015 FROM 07:30AM TO 09:00AM
· MARCH 18, 2015 FROM 11:00AM TO 02:00PM
Earth Partners Coffee Shop Tours
401 E Main St
Mahomet , IL 61853
· MARCH 19, 2015 FROM 07:00PM TO 09:00PM
· MARCH 19, 2015 FROM 11:00AM TO 02:00PM
Earth Partners' Coffee Shop Tour
101.5 west Washington
Philo, IL 61864
· MARCH 20, 2015 FROM 11:00AM TO 02:00PM
Gifford Community Building
101 S Main St
Gifford , IL 61847
· MARCH 21, 2015 (ALL DAY EVENT)
American Passion Play
Bloomington Center for the Performing Arts
600 N East St
Bloomington, IL 61701
To help Harvest for All the Champaign County Young leaders are creating a March Madness Bracket Pool!
Brackets are $10 and you can purchase up to ten per person
Anyone is welcome to join
Brackets will be done through the CBS website. Once money is turned in to Dave Fulton at the CCFB office, you will be given a password for the CCFB group on the CBS website
Money is due by noon Tuesday (If you can't drop your payment off by noon Tuesday we will operate on the honor system but you must be signed up and submit your bracket by that time)
Half of proceeds go to Harvest for All
Other half are split between top 3 brackets (50% for 1st, 30% for 2nd, 20% for 3rd)
Support Your Local FFA Chapters!
Today in History
· 1639 Harvard College was named for clergyman John Harvard.
· 1781 The planet Uranus is discovered by William Herschel
· 1906 Susan B. Anthony, American women's suffrage activist, dies.
· 1921 Mongolia, under Black Baron, declares its independence from China.
Have a wonderful weekend!